Executive Director of Economic Development
Matagorda County Economic Development Corporation
Bay City, TX
- Job Post Start Date: February 5, 2021
- Job Post End Date: March 15, 2021
- Position: Executive Director of Economic Development
- Organization: Matagorda County Economic Development Corporation (MCEDC)
- Location: Bay City, population 18,000
- County Population: 37,000
- County: Matagorda
- State: Texas
Executive Director will plan, coordinate and implement industrial recruitment and expansion strategies to grow Matagorda County in a strategic manner. Position reports to an 11 member board that has five public funding entities represented on it. The position also serves as Executive Director to the Palacios Economic Development Corporation (PEDC), a Type B sales tax organization, under contract. The MCEDC recruits tourism infrastructure and retail businesses to areas outside the city limits of Bay City. Executive Director plans and manages the financial budget and assets of the MCEDC and the PEDC.
Matagorda County is located 75 miles southeast of downtown Houston on the Gulf of Mexico. It has a strong agricultural and ranching heritage combined with an expanding industrial base. It has 67 miles of coastline and two large interior bays. The County has a large eco-tourism sector. The County has the following assets: open flat land, service by two rail companies, many petroleum and chemical pipelines, a high voltage electrical power distribution system, the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway, two shallow-draft ports, two airports and air attainment status. The County has four industrial plants with 250-1200 employees. A new $1.5B pipe manufacturer completed construction in Bay City in 2017.
Salary: $75,000-$78,000, plus benefits and incentives
- Bachelor’s Degree in business management, marketing, community development, planning, engineering or a related field is required. Advanced degree is preferred.
- 3+ years in economic development, with at least 2 years in a management position.
- Certified Economic Developer (CEcD), Economic Development Finance Professional (EDFP) certification, or graduation from the University of Oklahoma’s Economic Development Institute is highly preferred.
- Experience working for boards and preparing for board meetings is necessary.
- Strong written and verbal skills are required.
- Knowledge of Federal, state and other economic development and community development grant and loan programs is required.
- Staff management experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience in working with a Type A or B sales tax organization is preferred.
- Executive Director must have or be able to obtain a valid Texas driver’s license and own a vehicle.